Your body is a sophisticated machine which has a powerful network which connects your brain to the rest of your body. Your brain sends signals to every organ when their function is required. Hence, the brain plays an important role in regulating the body’s metabolism. This shows us how important is the connection between mind and body. Today, we will share with you some of the tips which will help in strengthening your mind and body connection.
Simple Ways To Strengthen Your Mind-Body Connection
- Breathe. Focusing on your breath is the most fundamental and simplest technique for present moment awareness. Yogis and gurus have been teaching this practice for hundreds of years. Now even science supports this and it has been proven that deep breathing reduces stress. All you need to do is to close your eyes and take a deep breath. This will expand your abdomen with each inhalation. Then slowly exhale and repeat it a few times. This will allow you to release stress and you will be able to think clearly. It will help you to better understand the problems at hand.
- Hydrate. We can sometimes neglect some of our most basic needs when we are rushing through a busy day. You should make sure that you remain hydrated throughout the day. You should carry a reusable bottle of water with you. You will feel much better if you are hydrated for it will provide your body with the necessary nutrients. Water also improves blood circulation hence your body functions will improve.
- Stretch. Stretching your body is an excellent way for reconnecting with the sensations in your body. Sometimes we fail to realize how our body is manifesting the tension we are feeling. It may be tight shoulders, balled fists, or a clenched jaw. You should stretch your hands above your head and then move them down to the sides. After that extend your hands behind your body. Repeat this a few times and you will notice the difference.
- Break Out. Stepping away from your work for a brief moment will help you in reconnecting with your body. Take a walk down the hall and back again. Walk over to your colleague’s desk for discussing something instead of sending them an email. This will allow you to feel the sensations in your body and notice the breathing changes as you move around. This will allow you to connect with the present moment instead of focusing on the to-do list in your head.
- Move your body. We all love listening to music and most of us love to dance on our favorite song. Whenever you manage to find the time listen to your favorite music and dance away. This will make you feel better and your body and mind will be better synced. Music stimulates certain neural pathways which alleviate your mood. It also enhances your creativity and productivity. Dancing would allow you to work every muscle of your body. While doing this, many toxins will be removed via sweating and you will feel happy.
In short, your body, how you move it, and how you interact with your physical surroundings ultimately shapes how you think, feel, and behave.