Though a healthy lifestyle is recommended year-round, there is no question that summertime is when we are most likely to strive for a better body. We spend more time in tank tops and bathing suits and typically less clothing than we’re used to.
Summertime is usually busier and on-the-go, with vacations and get-togethers so being prepared to maintain your fitness program can be difficult at times. So if the thought of slipping into shorts or a swimsuit leaves you panicked, don’t fret, there are easy fitness tips that will help you be ready for summer!
Tips For Summertime Fitness
- Set a specific summer goal. Are you looking to be able to complete a half marathon, take a backpacking trip or simply just want to feel good when you are baring more skin? When you have a set goal that you are working toward, your workouts become more meaningful and it is easier to stay motivated.
- Shop the farmers market for fresh produce. The less time your food can survive on the cupboard shelf, the better it likely is for you. Fresh fruits and vegetables don’t last as long but the vitamins and minerals that are found in darker fruits and vegetables are what you need to keep your body healthy.
- Take advantage of longer days. Try beginning your workouts earlier in the morning, or even doing them a little later at night. With daylight longer, your mind will be more receptive to working out both earlier and later than you may be used to. Whichever time you choose its important to be consistent in your schedule as this will help you stick to your routine and ultimately achieve your fitness goals.
- Be food prepared! Often times it is tempting to “grab and go” foods that are not the best healthy choices, especially when traveling or trying to fit in summer fun. However, most ready to go food choices are calorie packed and nutrient deprived. Instead, be prepared with fresh foods to have on hand or prepacked. This will save you when faced with the urge to make a bad choice.
- Engage the family. Part of the beauty of summer is family bonding, and finding fun ways to incorporate fitness can also be a good example of the value of staying active to your loved ones. When you stay fit together it will be a huge motivator and as a bonus, you will make memories with the ones that mean the most to you.
- Make your movements count. Enjoy the summer and choose to do extra walking whenever you can. Wash the car, mow the lawn or participate in a volleyball or softball game. Sneaking in these extra movements will make a difference. Developing a body that moves well is the key to finding a place where you feel stronger, capable, and confident.
- Try something new. This is a great tip for any time of year, but especially when the weather is warm. Take advantage of the renewal of a season to actually renew your dedication to staying fit. Consider joining a hiking, swimming, Pilates or Yoga class. Lack of motivation can stem from boredom, and lack of stimulation. Once we step outside our comfort zone we have the ability to feel, see, and recognize opportunities.
When summer approaches it’s the time we are often inspired to get fit so you can enjoy all of the great summer activities, as well as feel amazing. It’s important to remember that getting fit is not just about the way you look in that swimsuit or sundress. It’s most importantly about being healthy and staying active.
Eating well will make you feel better and give you more energy for exercise. and since summer is a great time to be outside. Take advantage of the weather and be active!
Here at Ladies First, we want our members to feel at ease, pampered, and re-energized. Try one of our amazing selections of services to make your visit memorable, meaningful and enjoyable. Contact us today!