There are a wide variety of nutrition strategies and diets out there. Some focus on reducing your appetite, while others focus on restricting calories, carbs or fat. However, it can be a bit difficult to find the nutrition strategy that’s best for you with so many options out there.
So how do you find the nutrition strategy that’s best for you? Well with some experimentation and the guidance of a health coach you can find the strategy that’s right for you. So what are some popular nutrition strategies, and what are the benefits of each strategy? How can you implement these nutrition strategies into your daily life?
The ketogenic diet is one of the most popular weight loss diets out there. Basically, it’s a low carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet which puts the body into a metabolic state known as ketosis. It’s based around the premise that your body was designed to run more efficiently as a fat burner than a sugar burner.
So the main goal of keto is to switch your body’s energy source from glucose to fat. Although the keto diet may seem a bit intimidating, with the help of a coach the process becomes a lot simpler. So what are some of the main benefits and results you can expect on keto?
- Weight Loss: Because the ketogenic diet is using body fat as an energy source, your body will begin to burn the unwanted fat causing obvious weight loss benefits.
- Increased Energy: Keto helps to provide your body with a more reliable energy source allowing you to feel more energized throughout the day.
- Control Blood Sugar: Keto naturally lowers blood sugar levels due to not eating as many carbs so your body can’t produce glucose. Because of this, keto can be extremely beneficial for those that are pre-diabetic or have Type II diabetes.
- Appetite Control: When eating a diet that is heavy in carbs you can often find yourself hungry a lot sooner than you expected after eating a meal. However, fats are more naturally satisfying they end up leaving our bodies in a satiated state for much longer. This means a lot fewer cravings.
The keto diet is best for those looking to lose weight and improve their overall health.
2. Carb Cycling
Carb cycling is a planned alteration of carbohydrate intake in order to prevent a fat loss plateau and maintain metabolism along with workout performance. It’s one of the more aggressive nutrition strategies. So who is carb cycling for?
Well, carb cycling is mainly for athletes or those who need a more meticulous nutrition approach. It’s an extremely popular strategy among bodybuilders, as it allows them to shed fat and build muscle. There are a few different ways to tackle carb cycling, but generally, you eat low carb for 3 days, and high carb for 2 days. Basically, the idea is to get the benefits of carbs on some days, and the benefits of eating low carb on other days.
Here are a few results you can expect to see while carb cycling:
- Weight Loss: On your low carb days, you’ll lose fat. On high carb days, you’ll burn more calories. Which is why carb cycling is great for weight loss.
- Muscle Gain: As I mentioned above, carb cycling is great for fat loss and muscle gain. On your low carb days, your body will burn more fat. And on your high carb days, you give your body a chance to gain muscle.
All in all, carb cycling is great for those who want to achieve a certain physique or promote weight loss.
3. Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. Basically, instead of restricting the foods you eat, you restrict the time when you eat them. There are a few different ways to go about intermittent fasting, it’s all about what works best for you. Some common methods include:
- The 16/8 method: Involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, subsequently fasting for the remaining 16 hours of the day.
- The 12:12 method: Involves fasting for a period of 12 hours. So if you had your last meal at 7 p.m. you would eat your next meal at 7 a.m.
- The 5:2 diet: On two non-consecutive days of the week, you restrict your intake to 500–600 calories. On the five remaining days, you eat like normal.
- The warrior diet: Eat small amounts of raw fruits and vegetables during the day and one huge meal at night, basically fasting during the day and feasting at night within a 4-hour window.
Some results you can expect to see on intermittent fasting include:
- Weight Loss: Intermittent fasting is great for both fat loss and weight loss.
- Consistency: One of the main reasons intermittent fasting is so popular, is because of how easy it is to stick with. Another great thing about intermittent fasting is that it’s a diet you can easily get used to and stick with for the rest of your life. In fact, you can see many health benefits from doing it for the long term.
Additionally, intermittent fasting may reduce markers of inflammation, cholesterol levels, blood triglycerides and blood sugar levels. All in all, intermittent fasting is great for those looking to promote weight loss while eating the foods they love.